FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
JOB SUMMARY: The Payroll Specialist is responsible for ensuring accurate processing and recording of the Company’s payroll, providing timely and accurate financial information, and participating in daily data entry and payroll processing.
REPORTS TO: Controller
- Processes multi-state payroll for both hourly and salary employees
- Collects and inputs time, and reconciles payroll discrepancies
- Verifies attendance, hours worked, and pay adjustments, and post information onto designated records
- Supports the corporate time keeping system
- Ensures accuracy of wages and deductions
- Enters new hire information into payroll system including W-4 and other payroll tax forms, direct deposit authorizations,
- Maintains, processes and responds to garnishments and income assignments
- Records employee information, such as exemptions, transfers, and resignations, to maintain and update payroll records
- Issues and records adjustments to pay related to previous errors or retroactive increases
- Tracks leave time, such as vacation, personal, and sick leave, for employees
- Provides timely response to employees and managers regarding payroll matters, tax issues,
- Completes employment verification requests
- Stays abreast of changes in tax and deduction laws that apply to the payroll process
- Maintains confidentiality of information
- Accomplishes all other duties and tasks as appropriately assigned or
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of three to five years prior payroll
- Prior union and multi-state payroll experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of payroll, payroll taxes, unions (such as reporting, researching and setting up pay and fringe rates), prevailing rates & certified payrolls
- Strong PC skills including proficiency in Excel
- Attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- High degree of professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Decision making, problem solving and analytical skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and may occasionally be required to walk, climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.