Job Title: Safety Director
Job Reports To: COO
Area of Service: Western NY (Buffalo / Rochester & surrounding areas)
Primarily responsible for leading and managing the Company’s safety initiatives and safety loss control programs, and the development of a safety and risk management culture. Assures safety program is designed to comply with OSHA and other construction industry standards.
Essential Job Functions:
- Leads development of and clearly articulates Company’s safety vision, objectives, strategies, policies, and procedures in order to build a safety culture dedicated to behaviors which lead to best in class results.
- Provides proactive leadership and assumes ownership of building a best in class safety culture by
- anticipating problems & providing solutions
- sharing knowledge with, and providing training, to all levels of management, field staff, preconstruction, and project teams
- interacting with clients, subcontractors, and inspectors, and
- creating an environment of learning, mentoring, and empowerment in order to promote employee engagement.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions and conclusions, and monitors results to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Ensures safety & health training meet the needs of internal and external (client & regulating entities) requirements, so staff has the safety training to safely perform tasks and jobs.
- Leads incident investigations.
- Manages hazard assessment activities by
- conducting and/or supervising safety inspections, and
- analyzing inspection and incident data to identify opportunities to develop preventive and corrective practices.
- Develops annual plans & budgets for safety & health initiatives, including training.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental health & safety, safety management, construction or related field.
- OSHA 500, CSP certification preferable.
- Minimum 10 years experience in construction industry safety management.
- Minimum 5 years experience managing & leading a structured safety program; self-performing general contractor or specialty contractor preferable.
- In depth technical knowledge of construction related OSHA, federal, state, and local regulatory
standards, and ability to recognize hazardous situations and implement effective corrective
- Must be an effective communicator, generating professional written material and delivering
effective verbal presentations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to operate typical office equipment, such as a computer, copier, printer, calculator.
- Must be able to operate safety equipment, monitoring devices, camera.
- To submit interest in the role please email resume and salary requirements to Brian Kelly, COO, at firstname.lastname@example.org